Here are a few important steps to take to protect your smile:
- See your family dentist every six months – Patients who get routine dental exams are more likely to have oral diseases detected at an earlier stage, when these conditions do less damage and can be treated less invasively. Furthermore, semi-annual cleanings completed by a professional dental hygienist help to minimize the oral bacteria that cause many oral diseases.
- Keep a daily oral hygiene routine at home – Good dental habits at home will keep your smile in tip-top shape between those dental appointments. Brush twice a day and floss daily. Make sure that you are using a good technique, and ask your dentist for a refresher if you’re not sure how to brush or floss. Some patients may also want to add an anti-bacterial mouthwash.
- Eat a variety of healthy foods – Maintaining a nutritious diet that includes different fresh fruits and vegetables and low-fat dairy products will help you get all of the nutrients you need to support a healthy smile.
- Limit your consumption of sugary treats – Eliminating certain things from your diet can also benefit your smile, most notably very sugary foods. These items can provide a good food source for bacteria, so only enjoy them on rare occasions.
- Protect your smile from trauma to the teeth – Don’t chew on anything that’s not food. Doing so could possibly break your teeth. Also, if you play any contact sports, be sure to wear a custom-fitted mouthguard to protect your teeth from damage due to injury.
A healthy, attractive smile is a great asset. Protect yours by seeing your family dentist on a regular basis and sticking to a complete oral hygiene routine, for starters. Ask our dental team if there are any other healthy dental habits you should be following.